Portland High School will strive to engage learners through unique, diverse, and differentiated opportunities, connect students to lifelong skills and trades to enhance college and career readiness, and empower students and teachers to embrace leadership and service roles in their local community.
Portland High School commits to graduating college and career ready students who will serve as productive citizens for the community.
All of us play a part in making this mission and vision come true.
- Contribute to a safe, encouraging environment that emphasizes and promotes literacy.
- Use their literacy strategies to learn and problem solve as a life skill.
- Interact with rigorous content and texts the majority of each school day.
- Demonstrate personal accountability and ownership for their educational growth and college and career goals.
- Contribute to and take pride in their school, activities, and achievement.
- Will be life-long learners who will effectively use professional learning communities to drive achievement in the areas of literacy and numeracy by sharing best practices, revising lesson plans, developing powerful common assessments, and using data to address individual needs.
- Will utilize cross-curricular and community connections to assist students in solving real-world problems.
- Will create supportive and challenging classroom cultures that promote student risk-taking.
- Commits to providing authentic learning experiences so that students are engaged in academics, have opportunities to develop character and are prepared to contribute to the community.
- Will foster an atmosphere of mutual respect that promotes collaborative discussions in order to provide consistent educational outcomes based on recognized academic standards and analysis of data.
- Will engage in purposeful communication with students, family, and community that cultivates a culture for student success and results.
- Will set high expectations and hold themselves and other stakeholders accountable for measurable results.
- Will provide access and equity in the use of facilities, materials, and technology for instruction.
FAMILIES & COMMUNITY:
- Are invested in productive partnerships that promote high levels of relevant and authentic learning and develop student leadership potential.
- Will strategically utilize outside resources to support student learning.
- Will have ready access to monitor and support student progress